Sunday, February 03, 2008

Heartbreaker!!!!!

In case you were living in a cave in the desert, you know it was the Superbowl tonight. Mark has been a Pats fan since he was a little kid. He knew the heartbreak of the 80's, but has stayed true. Cade has found that he too loves the Patriots, and as most 11 year old boys do, hangs his life on his "team". So I'm sure you know where this story is headed. :( Mark took Cade and his best friend out of school early on Friday and went to the NFL Experience, Mark and Cade pooled their resources and purchased what my kiddo has wanted more than anything since before football season started, a REAL pats jersey with #12 and Brady on the back. Well Brady jerseys were sold out, but they did one better by getting our last name on the jersey with #12. He was just beaming, I was so excited for him. He could hardly wait for today, and then.......


Oh boy, he is not a happy camper. It didn't help that he got in HUGE trouble during the game, I won't go into it now, but he got sent to his room during the 4th quarter. Not football related. But Mark let him finish watching in the other room after a little while. The next time I saw him he was putting his authentic jersey and prized hat into the garbage can. Which ticked me off a little, but I rescued it. I guess he's getting crash course in being a loyal fan through good times and bad. Today, emphasis on the BAD. Marks words of wisdom were: "listen, I survived the Superbowl in 1985 when the Bears beat the Patriots 55-10, and I'm still mad about it. You just have to find it in your heart to forgive them and show them you are a true fan and stick with them. They will have another great season next year, we'll be back. " Spoken like a true Superfan!!! It may be a rough week for my boy. He dosen't want to face his friends at school. Football is life, and he dosent' do well with smack talk that is directed at him. He informed me that some kids will be missing teeth tomorrow. Yikes. Sometimes its really hard to watch them grow up.

8 comments:

smilingsarahbear said...

Oh man.. don't read my Super Bowl post. But I am sorry for your little man... it sucks seeing kids so bummed out. You're right though- at least it will be a learning experience of loyalty. And btw... I love reading about your blessings- thanks for the idea again. Hope you have a great week!

Donna said...

Welcome to the world of being a Boston sports fan! Being from Mass of course I was all for the Pats, what a disappointment. I guess we should be used to it by now. Look at how many times the Red Sox disappointed us. It was still a great season, 18 - 1, isn't bad. And yes, next year we will come back and take it all.

Chelsea said...

Poor guy. Way to go Mark for being a great example for him! I love the 97 day challenge thing. I'll have to look into it. And I too love your house, your street, and the ward. I miss it!!!

KatieFeldmom said...

Poor guy. I was rooting for the Giants but I know how cool it would have been for the Patriots to have won and completed a perfect season. Mark's message is so true.

Since Brian is four, we're only at the white jerseys v blue jerseys stage. Fortunately, he was rooting for the white jerseys to win.

Pamela said...

Awww sorry to hear Cade ( well & Mark) had a disappointing day...*hugs* to them..

Marla said...

Oh dear...at least he's learning now, right? Give him lots of hugs! You have to admit, that comeback by the giants was pretty incredible. I wasn't voting for anyone, but I was sorta hoping the Pats would come back in the end to make for an amazing game! Tell the little guy to hold his head high!

Anonymous said...

Poor guys! Next year will be better!

Maddy said...

Oh that stinks! Especially since he loved that jersey so much. I hope he still loves it!