Monday, April 17, 2006

My fab weekend!!!!!!!

Started with Saturday, wow what a great day!! I got up at 5:00 and headed out to ASU to run Pat's Run.You might have seen the thread on Tracker, it was in honor of Pat Tillman. His story is so incredible. He was an ASU alumni and a AZ Cardinals Football player who after 9/11 gave up his lucrative contract to join the Army and fight in Iraq. He was killed in action by friendly fire. It is such a chilling story. He was a very inspiring guy and a real competitor who did everything 110%. Anyway it was a 4.2 mile run around Tempe town lake and into the stadium, it finished on the 50 yard line. I met up with Dana and Maricar and we all ran it, but we got separated. There were 8,000+ runners!!! By some miracle we all found each other after it was over. All along the way they had big banners with some of his quotes, a big picture of his face, boy you see that stuff and it just realy keeps you pumped up. Toward the end I was getting tired but then there were people lined up cheering us on, one guy really stood out to me, he was in a wheelchair, obviously crippled, wearing a Cardinals Jersey and cheering everybody on. I just about started crying, thinking, This guy probably knew Tillman, and he'd be running this for sure if he could, boy that got me. and then coming up the tunnel into the stadium, it was pretty emotional. A lot of people were standing there (mainly ASU footbal players) holding out there hands to slap as you run to the finish line. The stadium was about half full about that time of people watching and cheering. It was a great moment. I fely so happy that I ran the whole thing at a good pace and finished. My time on the display was 42:12, I think my chip time will be around 38-40 min., I haven't checked it yet. It was so much fun and very inspirational.

On to Awesome experience #2!!! After the race we went to Scottsdale and watched BFL champ Ken Young do a bike race. We were all so tired and sweaty, but it was our only chance. We got there for the end and cheered him on a little, then got to hang out and chat for a while. He was so nice and complimentary. I had heard he was a machine, um, oh YEAH! He's been training hard all week and racing his bike (this is like Lance Armstrong short-track stuff) and training and racing with retired pros of many different sports, not just bike. He said they were amazing. But he was racing against some real retired big shots. (Seriously, this is Kens first "season", he just "picked it up", and he's placing 3rd, 1st, 2nd, HELLO!!!!!!) He is a fitness ANIMAL. He had raced (i'm guessing like 30 mile races, all out)at 7:15 that morning, then we caught the end of the 11 am race, but he was wondering if they'd let him do the 5 pm race, just for fun, to see where he's place. His physique is in-freaking SANE, he really IS a machine. Yet he was so gracious about taking pics, and so complimentary to ME, the nerd royale! He said I look great for having 5 kids. And Danas camera is really slow to snap the pics, and he's like "hey, take your time! LOL" while he's got his arms around Maricar and me. LOL It was cute. We talked about the cruise, it was cool and I really wasn't nervous after the first couple minutes, because he was just so nice. He's was like "hey are you gonna go get pizza now after your race?, you gotta reward yourself" it was funny. It makes me SO SO SO excited to meet more champs and awesome BFL peeps on the cruise. AHHHHHHHH!

So yes, we did go get pizza!!! LOL








One thing about these pics......I don't know WHAT is up but I look HORRIBLE! Nice unshapen sausage arms :( Mark pulled them up and knew I would not like them. And Cade saw them and said "woah, mom.....you look big in those pictures. Like REALLY big. Way bigger than in real life." Gotta love kids. At least he threw that last part in. but seriously. YIKES.


I'll have to blog about Easter later, this is turning into a novel. :D

9 comments:

Suz said...

I think you look incredible. We are always our worst critic. You are a big inspiration and I hope you do know how beautiful you are and recognize that you have come such a long way from C1W1D1!

K. Marie said...

Janel, your arms look freakin' strong in those photos. The sunny ones are all washed out, but the one with Dana, you get a real idea of your definition.

I'm the same as you when I get ready to see pics of myself: terrified they'll suck and ecstatic when they don't. Probably why I haven't taken a "BFL" photo since January .......


That's awesome you all got together to do that race!

Hypertrophy said...

How cool. I can still remember reading about Pat Tillman just before his senior year at ASU. It was an SI article, and you just could tell this guy was different, and that there was nothing stopping him from doing what he believed in. It takes a real man to step down from $3.6 million per year and serve his country.
I know he and Jake Plummer were good friends ... did you happen to see Jake ? I know he was running as well.

Again, I'm amazed at seeing how small another champion is. Ripped, no doubt ... but a tiny guy.

Congrats on finishing, you guys all look fantastic !

Janel said...

LOL Jim you sound like Mark "yeah, its so much easier to put muscles on short arms and legs, try putting big biceps on a 6'7 wingspan!!" LOL. Ken is pretty short, but you should have seen his calves and biceps!!! Holy toledo he was like Popeye, his calves looked like they were gonna explode, it was unreal!!

I didn't see Jake Plummer, I'm sure he was up at the front of the pack of the sea of people, I was somewhere in the middle. It was a very cool experience. Dana ran into Pats mom in the parking lot of ASU on friday and she was practically in tears over the incredible support. there were like 10 lines of people there registering the day before. They raised over $350,000 for his foundation, and there is another race in CA in a couple weeks. So cool.

Plus we got these sweet running shirts, they are silky and stretchy like underarmour.

Pamela said...

YOU loook marvelous..!! As K says..the colour is wishy washy..& you're also not being all poser girl! Just a girl who was out having a WONDERFUL day !!...WOW!! I'm so impressed!! looks like you all had a fantastic time!

chantal2bfit said...

Love the pictures! How cool that you got to participate in such a worthy cause & see a BFL champ! And what are you talking about? You look great!

Marijayde said...

That is so awesome - and I agree with everyone about the pics. I am the same way when I see myself, but your arms in that one with Dana - HELLO!!

Way cool getting to meet Ken Young, they are so inspiring! When we went to the expo, I was ready to start working out right there!!

David said...

Great pics and story - I agree with everybody else I think you look great. Thanks for sharing your story/experience with us.

Peace,
David aka BFL_Dawg

KatieFeldmom said...

I think you look incredible too.

I can't wait to meet you on the cruise. It's going to be so awesome meeting you and the rest of the BFL gang.

Congrats on your run. It sounds amazing! And thanks for all of the pictures. It's nice to have a face to go with the names.