This will likely be long and rant-ish, but stick with me here. I need your input. Some of you remember back when I was talking about the weight problem at my church among the ladies. (I'd say 70% are more than 50 lbs overweight, 20% of those 100+lbs)
The background of the story today is thet the lesson in the womens meeting at church was about respecting our bodies as created by God. Good subject. I know the teacher and I had actually talked to her previously(and I inspired her to join the gym! YAY!)I had expressed all my thoughts on the subject to her and told her that I may have to chime in on a couple points, which she was fine with that.
So the big lesson commences. I start hearing all the same points being brought up that frustrate me and have for years. But I just didn't feel like it was the right forum to go spouting off from my soapbox. I didnt' want to derail the teacher(she could have handled it, but still)So I stayed quiet, even though it about killed me. Here are some examples of what was being said.
"My mother always taught me that you should spend a few moments at home making yourself presentable, then once you walk outside you should completely forget about yourself and concentrate on helping others"
"I used to feel terrible about myself when I was in my teens and I was thin then. Now I realize I have a weight problem, but I'm OK with that because I love myself and who I am."
"I hate to disillusion you younger women, but at my age(about 65) you're just happy your still holding together"
On one hand I am really steaming, but on the other hand I know that this is what we have been taught and this is what they are telling themselves to cope with their reality. I just felt like i would have been way out of line to say what I wanted to, which was:
"Sisters, if we don't take care of our bodies, they are not going to last us long enough and all these plans you may have had for your golden years are not going to be realized. If you are ill (i.e. diabetes, back problems, hip problems, arthritis, etc) how can you ecpect to be serving others, working at the temple,going on a mission with your spouse, bringing in meals to others, etc."
"If we could just give a small amount of time to ourselves as mothers, we will have the energy to actually give MORE to our families and those we love. Its not selfish to plan meals that are healthy and spend a reasonable time every day exercising. That stuff is not just for pampered sociallites!! We need it to relieve stress and feel good about ourselves."
"You won't realize how dragged down and sick you feel when you aren't wating properly and exercising, and how much your mental outlook will improve, until you truly change your habits. Even in 1 week its an incredible difference"
*SIGH* I'm just not sure I would have carried much credibility with most of these ladies, just because to them I'm young(to some of them), and small(comparitively). SO I signed up to teach a fitness/nutrition class, and I hope some people will take it. I mean, everyone knows they need to lose weight. I hope I get to do it(if people sign up, I will) and I hope they will give me a little "plug" for it when that happens.
SO THE QUESTION IS>>>>>>>
Does anyone have ANY advice as to what I could say that would not be offensive, yet really a wakeup call and get some of these ladies(even the older ones) to realize its not too late and overflowing your chair(by a lot in some cases) is NOT OK!!! We're not talking the road to hotness, its like fitting in a chair. Is there anything I can even say??? I realize every person must be ready, and be in a place that they are willing to change. HELP!!! These are wonderful ladies that deserve better than they are giving themselves!!
Minecraft Realms Free Codes
5 years ago

3 comments:
That is so funny, because when I was active in the church most of the ladies were over-weight right along with the men.. But the women were having one babay after another one... I don't think I would have done as well as you did today..... Although marriage is very important I beleive men and women are attracted to a fit person over a over-weight person... Church or no church, it's human nature... You did good today..... The holy spirit must have been with you today.. :)
Casey
Oh Hon.. I can only imagine.. I hope you do get hte chance to teach them about health & nutrition.. but I guess the old addage about leading a horse to water but you can't make them drink.. comes to mind. I don't know ... what angle could you present the whole concept of fitness/health from that they would see it as a a necessary part of being a good "servant" to Him..that you need to be healthy in body as well as spirit..
I'll rack my brains for ya hon! & I'm sure others will come up with something too :)
Hugs
Lala*
Janel, you seem like a sweet, very kind non judgemental person; surely you're attitude must come across this way to the people around you. That said, what about very nicely saying what you just did in a non-confrontational way? I know I've always got to "drive the point home" but simple facts like not fitting in a chair, not being mobile, diabetes, etc. should be speaking volumes but it doesn't seem to have any impact. Do these women not need something that is going to have some impact on them? I think obviously they do, then again, I'm not there so don't know.
It could be as as simple as getting the point across that as you said you don't have to be a slave to it just be aware that you can make some healthier choices. Rest assured if 70% are 50 - 100 lbs overweight there have been some bad food choices made and we're not talking about some minor cookie slip-ups.
Now I have to comment about the generation gap. Why these women have been taught or why its been pounded in their heads that no matter what they are the LEAST most important person is beyond me. You could leave that generation where it is as a lost cause and focus on the younger generation. What would really be great is if you could get some of the older ones to "realize" this, admit perhaps they do hold some merit, are too old to change now but would like the younger generation to actually "do better" than themselves. You don't have to be extremely overweight to respect your body as created by God, to love & accept yourself, to carry on good work unselfishly. You are not being SELFISH - you are being NORMAL. Why can't healthy be just NORMAL????
Post a Comment