Friday, June 13, 2008

The poor girls guide to new furniture

You know how you just get sick of looking at your same stupid furniture after about a decade?? Especially when it is lame-o oak or has been trashed by your kids, and you've moved a bajillion times and just don't want to put old stuff in a new place? Heres your solution......Get out your spray cans......and paint it all one color. I chose black. 2 weeks ago I loaded everything into my garage and started spraying. Now instead of a bunch of random crappy furniture there is at least some sort of coordination. One great tool that I used was this little spray can nozzle that fits over the top of the cans and makes it a comfy trigger sprayer instead of having to push down on that little button and give yourself a hand cramp by your 3rd can. It was totally worth the 3 dollars. My armoire turned out awesome, I got some sweet crystal-like knobs for the doors that will look really good. I did the boys bunk beds, 2 side tables, 2 picture frames, Sadie's metal twin bed, and some metal candleholder thingys. The Armoire took me about 1 1/2 hour one day, and the rest of the stuff took me about 3 hours.






I still have to finish up the one bunk bed, I ran out of paint. For about 30 dollars in paint and about 4 hours of my time I will have 12 freshened up pieces to use in the new house. Which we are still waiting on papers for. I have a lump the size of a softball in my stomach.


ANYway........

Just be aware that if you are wearing flip-flops while spray painting, eventually your feet will become completely blackened from the overspray. You might have to go get a pedicure afterwards. :D

4 comments:

The Tyler's said...

They all look so good and I love your new background!

Maddy said...

I love your new background! I went and looked at the site and fell in love with the blue and brown one. I almost switched, but I figured I would save it for the next time I'm bored.

Love the furniture! And thanks for coming over and sitting at my house last night!!!

Amy F. said...

So smart!! I love the black, and you can't go wrong. It looks like new furniture! I am feelin the pain for you -you know, waiting for the paperwork to go through!! I hope hope that it moves a long fast for ya!
Tonight was way fun, I love your family!

Marla said...

That's awesome!!! I wish I had thought of that before going to IKEA to buy a new bookshelf...that didn't even fit in my car! I felt a little stupid! So....how do your feet look spraypainted?! New trend? :P Your feet with my farmer's tan would go great together! We'd turn tons of heads walking down the street!