Wednesday, October 03, 2007

So SPOOOOKY



We had such a fun time today. I decided the other day that I needed to find a project to keep the kids busy this week and get excited about halloween(although we neeed very little help in the excitement area) I trekked on over to Michaels and found some cute little projects. THen I decide to do a real from scratch halloween gingerbread house. I've wanted to do one for about 5 years,and this was finally the year. I quickly realized why people buy the kits. Making gingerbread is a real pain in the butt. Although, the recipe I have says you need two batches to make it work, and I barely needed one, which was good because one of my batches wasn't very good. I would have had enough to make 2 houses had it all turned out. Anyway today was bake, assemble, and decorate day. It was really fun, but a lot of work. I got a cool tree to put with our house, and I think the kids and I did an really good job for our first time. Now when I see those elaborate gingerbread christmas houses, I can really appreciate what it takes to make something like that, no thanks!!

Cade took charge of making our little terracotta pot guys. They were really fun and only a dollar, I may go get some more to take to my moms this weekend for something to do. Cade was cute making all these things, he really got into it.







And about my trip to my moms this weekend.....HUGE bummer now I have to take my neice who is a spaz and encourages my boys to be more crazy than usual. I am SO dissapointed! I really really just wanted to chill out. Now I am going to have to be all disciplinarian and enforer and referee. She is starting to swear a LOT (because it is what she hears) and there are just all sorts of issues. I am so pissed at my brother and especially his psycho ex who just refuse to believe that I have nothing better to do. My older kids are really disapointed that it wont be just us....AGAIN. I should have just said no, but then I feel guilty because I know my brother needs to work, and I feel like she should have as much cousin time and good influence as she can. I am so wanting to call him and say sorry I just can't do it, but I'm just too nice. Mark says I have nobody to blame but myself. If anybody had a suggestion I would be very interested to hear it. :D

9 comments:

doidle said...

WOW!!! I'm impressed. We went to Hobby Lobby for crafts too, and the 2,200 piece bead thing I got was fun for 15 minutes and then you can just guess what happened.

PS Made the s'mores bars, mmmm..

Sorry about your niece. It's true she'll benefit from cousin time. Just be real strict on rules.

Chelsea said...

Duct tape always works for annoying kids. JK!!
Your halloween stuff is so cute!! I need to go find something for Carter to do. He keeps getting into all of my non-kid proof decorations. We have a Hobby Lobby here that I want to go check out. I guess when he is better we will have a new adventure!

Tracy said...

WOW..love that gingerbread house.

YUM..i would eat the whole thing. ;)

smilingsarahbear said...

I love the spoooky house! I'm having my little siblings over next week during their October break for a Halloween craft and baking party. I think I might have to use your idea. Of course it won't look half as amazing as yours but oh well. As for your niece... I totally know how you feel. I'm always getting taken advantage of when it comes to family because I'm a pushover too. So let me know if you get good advice! Try to have fun though!

Maddy said...

YEAY! You did it. I can't believe you actually made your own gingerbread. You are UBER-MOM!

The Tyler's said...

Love the house! It turned out so cute. Maybe we will attempt a Christmas one?! Or you can make it and we will come help decorate it!! Ha ha.

Anonymous said...

The house is fantastic!!! What a wonderful job! And the little guys on your table too! WOW.

Sorry to hear about the whole neice thing. Wish I had some advice for you. All I can say is that you are only responsible for making you and your children happy and if they aren't happy then you might want to rethink bringing her along. I'm a pushover too, but I've gotten to the point that if my girls are unhappy with something (and it's a reasonable unhappy thing) then I need to make a decision to straighten it out. We can't be responsible for the world. You already do SO much for everyone around you. However you decide to handle it, there will be some sort of guilt involved. But, whatever you decide you must then be strong and stick to it and be proud that you did the right thing. You'll know what that is. Good luck!

Amy F. said...

Janel, that gingerbread house is so awesome! You really inspire me! I have found that I really like to bake but I am still very inexperienced. Through out the holidays please have me over anytime you are making something so I can learn from you! Also, I will offer voice lessons in return for any of your kids (not that they need it with a Mom like you)!

KC said...

Very cool Halloween projects you've got going there. Very cool! You've outdone yourself!