Saturday, November 05, 2005

anyone with insomnia try reading this-you'll be snoozing in no time!

And so on and so on. Not much going on today. Mark is working so I am pretty much stuck here with the kids. I really want to go for my run (4.5 today...EEK) and the weather is gorgeous so I want to go outside, not in the gym on a tready, that would be such a waste. So I sit here downloading music and making the kids do chores.

We went and saw Jarhead last night. Lets just say it was a little.....rough. I mean, I knew it pretty much would be, those military movies always are but this one was HOOO BOOOOY! I can't say I reccomend it though because the story was pretty anti-climactic. We just kept waiting for something to happen. In fact, I believe that was actually one of the points the movie was trying to get across, is how so much of war/battle/military service is just..waiting for something to happen. And how that does some freaked out stuff to your mind. Anyway, if you go see it don't say I did't warn you. Some scenes even got reaction from the younger crowd(17-18 yr olds) I did download the title track to run to...its good.

Thanksgiving prep continues. I got most of the stuff to do cute litle invitations to send out next week. I also got a couple things to decorate my 2 tables. Heres what I'm doing. White paper table cloths. I got 3 yards of burlap (really cheap!!) which is wide enough to cut in half and make 2 runners(no hemming required) then they had those fake carveable pumpkins for 70% off so I got 2.(4 bucks a piece) My centerpeices will be moss with pumpkins and gourds and twig berry garland all wrapped around and a couple squatty creamy colored candles. A real rustic natural look. I figure since I need to do 2 it will just have to be simple and cheap, so rustic is the way to go. I was up the other morning at 3:30, Wyatt got in bed with us and he's a cuddler, which is nice but I can't sleep with anyone touching me. so after putting him back in his bed and laying there for 10 minutes I get up and got some of the Thanksgiving planning done. I made myslef a deep cleaning schedule, made all the food assignments, put it all on a calendar and made 3 separate to do lists that correspond to the calendar. So I'm a psycho. I've done lots of Thnksgiving dinners, but I've never hosted my own extended family. It will be 20 adults and 7 kids. For most of you that read this the topic is probably the most boring things you've ever heard. But these are the stupid things I obsess over. BO-RING! Do ya think I'm trying to escape from my "real" problems?? Nah!

7 comments:

Lori said...

Wow, you're good. I can't plan a party to save my life. Just not into it. I leave that up to everyone else. Too much time and money for me.

Lori

Tracey said...

Janel I'm into this stuff. You're not asking for my opinions so disregard if you wish.

Pumpkins - one year I had about 5 pumpkins & was getting sick of carving them so I got Steve's drill with the largest drill bit & made a polka-dot pumkin. Simple yes, but was one of the most "effective" looking pumpkins I'd ever seen. Put lots of candles in it, I saw Martha poke tiny white xmas lights in the holes but other colours might be nicer - especially purple. If you can, instead of the pumpkin lid, pop one of those small ornamental cabbages on top as a lid, the size would have to be proportional. Add something purple.

Christie said...

I love it, now we have Janel and Tracey, ladies, I am so gonna be buggin you around Christmas time, cause thats the one I am hosting for my family...Janel, that sounds totally incredible, and I love the cost factor...way to go...

Mari said...

Hey Janel I have to make dinner for 15 so what size turkey do I need? I have no clue last time I cooked thr turkey my mom bought it.

Janel said...

Mari I would say you need about a 20-22 pound Turkey. We are doing 2 15 pounders plus a ham for 20-25 but we like a lot of leftovers :)


Yeah, Flower I have definetly seen those drilled pumpkins, I did one a couple years ago and I LOVED it. I may do one for a side table arrangement. I also loved the one with the little white lights. Have you seen the cool gourds that are big on the bottom and littler on the top and they are striped every color of the gourd rainbow? I saw once someone cut off the top of the little side and filled it with water(in flower foam) and used it as a cool natural vase for mums and other fall flowers. It was really cool.

Tracey said...

Janel - I've seen them but haven't come across them here; not that I've looked really hard. I particularly like the pale green ones. They're "bottle gourds" aren't they?

Pamela said...

HI Janel! ..sounds like you're in full swing for your thanksgiving celebration! WOW you guys down there really seem to make it a much bigger party than we do for ours up here... I get to be bored from now till Christmas! lol :P

Took you advice .. I've started writing :) still have LOTs to learn tho!
Thanks! big hugs!