I just posted this on our Relief society blog....Yeah I'm totally crazy!!
In an effort to peel off the 30+ pounds I have found over the last year or so, I am starting a new project and wanted to see if anyone wanted to join me. Strength in numbers, right? :D
I will be training for the "Irongirl" at Tempe Town Lake on Saturday, December 6th. That is 14 weeks away. There is a 5K and a 10 miler. I will be training for the 10 miler. It will be a great way to work toward a goal and get in shape at the same time. If you have ever run in an organized event such as the Turkey Trot, Tillmans race or the Turkey Waddle you know that it can be very exciting and a rewarding experience. It is not a competition of any sort! Just something big to work towards. And the weather is getting nice, we should be outside more anyway, right?
http://www.irongirl.com/Events/Tempe.htm
TRAINING: Edited!!!! I found an awesome online training guide, that takes you from basicaly square 1 (that would be ME!!) to running 10 miles in 12 weeks. It tells you how much to run every day, and when to rest, and how to train so that you will be ready, but not overdo it. My bud Courtney (who is also in..WOOHOO!) Reminded me about runners world.com, which has FREE online training plans to get you ready. I was all over it reading this morning and I was encouraged by this article:
The training plan that follows is designed to get you to the point where you can run 30 minutes (about 2 miles) at a slow, relaxed pace. It's a simple, progressive program that begins with more walking than running, and gradually evolves into more running than walking. Each week's plan also includes a motivational quote and a training tip. Once you are able to run 2 miles nonstop, you can decide on your next goal. You might simply want to continue running 2 miles at a time, three or four days per week. Research has shown that this is enough to help you lose or maintain weight, and improve many other important health markers, ie, your cholesterol, blood pressure, and insulin response. Or you might decide that you want to do more, in which case you can consult the many training programs offered by the Runner's World SmartCoach. Don't be intimidated by these programs. The first 2 miles is the hardest 2 miles you will ever run. Once you have reached this level of fitness, it's relatively easy to do more. You simply have to budget the time, and be patient and disciplined in your training.
There is so much great info on this site, including what to eat and when, form, everything.
I think I am going to do the Asics training schedule, it seemed to fit most with where I am now. Its longer, I will have to cut out 2 weeks of it, but thats OK. So go to Runnersworld.com and lets get excited!! I can't even tell you how thrilled I am that people want to do this. YAY!!
FYI: I ran this morning, new shoes and all. I made it exactly 1 mile, and I was PUKING my guts out. Literally. Probably got some on my new shoes. So if I can do it, you can do it!!!!
If it sounds like something you like to do, let me know!! And now you know what I'll be up to!!
Great reasons to run the Irongirl:
*Lose the pounds!!
*acheive a goal
*time for myself
*get to know new people in my ward
*did I mention lose some pounds?? :D
*have a focus to get me through the fall eating holiday without gaining another 30 pounds
*feel better, not sick and tired every day!!
Who else is IN????
Minecraft Realms Free Codes
5 years ago

7 comments:
Maybe if you were going to do the 5k, but 1o miles just doesn't even sound like fun to me. I do need some motivation, though. Someone asked me at church - AGAIN -- if I was pregnant. We're going on 4-5 times in a month now.
I'm in! I am determined to do the turkey trot this year, and being over ready for it (by running 10 miles a week or two after) would be great. I've been running, but only do about 6 miles a week (2, 3x). Lame, but it's a start, right?
Let me know how much $$, cause I really need some advice/training info if I'm going to do it!!
I am IN! I was just sitting here wondering how I was going to get started loosing weight! and BAM! So count me in. Living in Flagstaff will make it hard to be there for the race but I deffinatly need some support and motivation.
Go Janel!! I would be one of the "wannabe runners"!! I'm running (walking) the Chandler Challenge 5K on the 18th of October. I'll see how that goes before I committ to another.
Janel- I'm so in! I am committed already to running a 1/2 marathon the first week of January and I NEED to get prepared like 3 months ago. This is perfect. I'll probably be registering by the end of this week. And I know I'll stick with it better if I'm being held accountable to a wonder woman like you! Wahoo!
I'm so in! I was actually going to start training for the 1/2 marathon for the PF Changs Rock n Roll Marathon in January, but this sounds much more fun and reasonable!! Thanks for the websites and helpful tips!!
this sounds great - except... I don't think any training program in the world is going to get me to 10 miles in 12 weeks :)
I will however commit to training :)
Post a Comment