Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Not quite Ace of Cakes, but.....



Operation wedding cake is going remarkably well. I copied this from a Food Network show where Bobby Flay makes a wedding cake to challenge a real cake maker. I thought it seemed really pretty and elegantly simple. My first attempt the other day at a practice cake was a real cluster, and I was getting discouraged. I just jumped into the project without reviewing all the techniques I know to use, and it was terrible. It was a "remember as you go" type of deal. The things I had not done were pretty much crucial, and I was frustrated so I quit too soon and then the kids got a hold of it and made an even bigger mess. So sorry, Maddy I coudn't bring you any cake, it had finger lines and big chunks out of whole thing by the next morning. I chucked the whole thing this morning. I was thinking I'd take another stab at a practice today. BUUUUUUUT....My practice cake(s) turned out awesome. So now they have become the actual cake. All 4 tiers are frosted and ready to be stacked and decorated with fresh flowers. I have an extra fridge-freezer in my garage where they will chill for 8 days until the wedding. BTW this is not the cake that is being served, it is just there because you are supposed to have one to cut and the groom to stuff in the brides face, and the top for the couple to eat later. We are serving sheet cakes to the guests. I must admit though, I used the white mix with the pudding in it, and is it ever YUMMO. It will still be delicious. I just can't see making it all over again, for one thing it takes about 9 mixes and 2 dozen eggs, plus about 6 pounds of powdered sugar. and a LOT of work. I could do it again, but now I'll have one less thing next week to do. I seriously can't WAIT to put it together, I am so proud!


Here are some pictures I took of it (not stacked yet, of course). The bottom and 2nd layer are covered in thick flake cocount, and there will be Small and large buds ( probably roses) in contrasting colors around the base and all of the base of all the layers except one, and that will have big balls of white frosting piped on top of clear sparkly beads with a silver bead on the tip of each frosting ball all the way around. Then a little nosegay of the roses on the top. So pretty and simple. The coconut is genius because the frosting dosen't have to be smooth. SO I will transport it in 4 parts and assemble it there at the reception and sick a dowel through the whole thing and out the flowers and frosting balls on. It will still take me about 45 minutes to put it all together. Oh yeah, her colors are fuchia and lime, they look GORGEOUS!!

8 comments:

Lori said...

That's going to be very pretty. How are you going to get it there would be my problem.

I used to have those same counter tops.

Pamela said...

looks lovely! quite the adventures tho eh?

KatieFeldmom said...

Wowsers. What an undertaking, but it looks like you got it handled. Looks yummy and beautiful all at once.

LOL at the brain buster. What did you tell him?

Janel said...

Katie I told him because the things that make up water are invisible too. I guess it satisfied him for now. I sense a future science project. LOL

I'm gonna keep the cakes separate and put htem in the back of my expedition and have Sadie sit back there with them to make sure they stay upright. I figure if all else fails I'll just make it a 3 layer haha. They will be frozen which should help.

Anonymous said...

How many hats do you wear woman?? My goodness, now you can make wedding cakes too? I'm totally impressed, it looks wonderful. Oh, and completely YUMMY.

carolakabb said...

that is amazing!

Maddy said...

Well, I hate you, but my butt and stomach thank you!

Looks beautiful! How nice to have it done. Now you can really relax and enjoy your weekend. Have fun!

zooman said...

I had a lot to comment on during this visit, but the pics made me hungry, so I'm off to the breakroom for some grub,lol.