Sunday, May 14, 2006

My getaway weekend

As much as I'm sure you would LOVE nothing more than for me to put up another 25 tidbits of info about me (I will later, I actually thought of a few good ones)I had such a cool experience this weekend. Of course, right now I'm in a semi-concious carb induced coma, so the edge of excitement has worn off a little but its all still good. :D


OK so I go to court, everything was cool, I got a small fine(out of a possible thousands, I owe 100, so good news)anyway, got that over with. I went to my moms gym to meet with this trainer guy named Steve. I've been around the workout thing long enough to know for myself if this guy was a quack or what, so I'm keeping an open mind and staying positive. If nothing else I'll get a different workout, right?? I'm a tad skeptical on the whole idea that he trained figure comp girls, but OK I'll just listen. Well, let me tell ya!!!! This guy is actually dialed in!! He put me thru a killer smith machine workout, a lunge circuit based on "freestyle"(haha I totally thought of Teresa, and was glad I could say I had read up on that program) but he'd added a couple things. He also showed me tons of lower body cool stuff to do with cables and ankle straps. Friday afternoon we worked for an hour and a half. It was REALLY GOOD!!! We did a little abs. He was so cool about having me write everything down so I could put it together and do it all on my own. He showed me some awesome lunge variations. He really got me pumped, but wasn't all cheesy or anything. He was quite impressed with my form, and my calves. AND he would not let me pay him. SO he's like "hey, I'll be here tomorrow morning at 10, come on down and I'll show you a bunch more stuff."

So Saturday I go back (even though I was SORE) and he showed me a track circuit, and more cable stuff, and this other KILLER butt exercise. I was there for 2 hours. It totally rocked. His eating advice was right on too. He knows I pretty much know what to eat, just doing it is the thing. Heres the other thing, He trained a few girls at a time, so both times I was there I saw in person some of his clients, and I must say it was pretty good. They had all lost lots of inches and were in good shape. It was a little surprising to see them, I mean, its a LITTLE TINY town, and there was one 40 somethig who looked GREAT. Her 6 pack was truly impressive. On saturday I met "the Legend", LOL she 63, works out 4-5 times per week, she was totally hanging with me on the track circuit. Shes been training with Steve for 2 years. Its funny, this gym reminds me of like the gym Mr. T in Rocky 3 would have trained in. EVERYthing is duct taped. LOL even some of the treadmills. The stuff is super worn, and Steve had "made" a big step thing (yes, covered in duct tape) but hey, it works. The leg press sled when you use it actually grinds a little and sounds like an actual snow sled. LOL So it ain't pretty, but it gets the job done, for sure.

Here is the guys deal, from what he's told me and my mom has said. Hes a single dad (2 daughters)and just wanted to scale everything down (bad divorce)so he moved to this area. He has trained girls for a bunch of different comps (I saw the run down, I'll have to google him and get it all) but a lot of it was back in the Met-Rx days (hes' got great respect for Bill Phillips) He told me this "Some people are competitors, some people train those competitors, and there are few men who can really train women properly, but I found I have a knack for it and I love to do it, its my life passion" I THINK he may have been his ex-wifes comp trainer. He charges 5 DOLLARS a session per person, and will have 3-4 girls going at one time. My mom asked him how he even can make ends meet on that little amount, he says he barely cuts it. His car is a total junker, he just loves the fitness thing. He told me it really frustrates him when people complain (who are these idiots???) about the $$ or whatever, they just don't know what they are getting. Anyway, it was cool. I have to go back next weekend for my sisters HS graduation, so I am gonna train with him friday afternoon and saturday am again. They go to the college fotball field every morning at 6 during the week, I wish I could do that but its 2 and a half hours away, I just can't get there. I was totally impressed with him. It was cute he called all of us "champ" (i.e. "come over her a minute champ, this one I want to show you is the BOMB") It seem s funny but it was actually quite motivating the way he said it. Plus he not all secretive about all the stuff he showed me, he's like "hey if someone you know needs help show them some stuff, it all works so good" SO I may have to share one new lunge or squat a day so you guys can try them. Also, if I work it every day till the cruise I will have great improvement. I'm really pumped!! BTW I am SO SORE!!!!!

5 comments:

Tracey said...

Wow - did you ever luck out. What a great weekend you had!!!!!!!! SHARE EVERYTHING!!!!!!

Amy said...

wow- what a great experience. and i can't believe $5 a session. That is so cool that he does that!! sounds like you have your fire back!! keep on working

Donna said...

$5.00 a sesson!!! I pay $60. For $5, I'd actually tip him. It sounds like you learned soooo much. That's great!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to hear what you learned...especially the lunge stuff. But, like I said, I CAN'T wait, so no "one a day"....I want them all at once, or at least a few at a time!

KatieFeldmom said...

WOW! That is so cool! I would love to see some of the lunge exercises on the cruise, which incidentally is 34 days away! Eeks!