Sunday, May 16, 2010

Shabby Bright Headboard

I redid Sadies bed a couple months ago, I never did a full after post, and I wanted to link to SNS at Funky Junk so here it is!

I got this bed from my parents, its a full and my daughter is turning 12 and really wanting a "real" bed. Here is what it looked like when I got it, I had already put the medallions on when I remembered to take the pics. Oooooo, ahhh a nice DARK 70's finish on solid wood. Score for me!!







Since it had the ugly, yet pristine finish I lightly sanded (I'm super lazy) and wiped it all down. Then I spray painted the whole thing with 2 coats of Krylon Key Lime from Walmart. I took a medium grit sandpaper and roughed up all the edges somewhat heavily. I mixed glaze and some brown paint (from the oops paint section at walmart) and just went to town and got it all in the cracks and creases and kept wiping off the excess. I probably should have moved to the shade for this part, but being it was a put together bed, and I was still super lazy I just worked as fast as I could.



Here it is in here room as of now (which we repainted from a dramatic purple and pink to a nice neutral). This room is taking me forever to finish! I edited the gobs of pillows (except the sweater one I made :) so you could see the headboard better.



It looks super yellow and blah in this lighting, the above pic of the footboard is much more accurate. It is so bright and whimsical, just like my daughter :D

5 comments:

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

I love the color! I love the unexpected use! Great job!

Pam said...

Uniquely finished and perfect for a nearly teen. It's nice to see brave color put out there; love it!

The Tyler's said...

So fun! I want a fun bed like that!

Amy F. said...

That is so cute!!
Its good to catch up your blog. I love hearing how things are going with you guys!!
Your kids are awesome.
Thanks for all the inspiration as well :)

Mindy McNamara said...

Can you do one for me!! I'm very impressed Janel!!