Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Better Us


I don't know if it's the new year, getting halfway through my 30's, all my kids leaving all day, or what but Mark and I have really been getting on a bunch of new bandwagons lately. I'm not even sure how to explain it. We are both kind of shifting our focus and starting to do things differently. Its all way too much for one post, it involves homeschooling, and how we need to be setting up a plan for these kids to be leaders and more successful as adults than we have been. I just look at my kids and I see SO much potential, I feel like its just being wasted. In order for them to be better than we are, WE are going to have to step it up! Our family is the only thing we are going to be able to take with us from this life!!! We are not living up to our potential, and it is not doing our kids any favors, lets put it that way. And then I read this:

To My Grown-Up Son

My hands were busy through the day,
I didn't have much time to play

The little games you asked me to.
I didn't have much time for you.

I'd wash your clothes, I'd sew and cook,
But when you'd bring your picture book

And ask me, please, to share your fun,
I'd say, "A little later, Son."

I'd tuck you in all safe at night,
And hear your prayers, turn out the light,

Then tiptoe softly to the door.
I wish I'd stayed a minute more.

For life is short, and years rush past,
A little boy grows up so fast.

No longer is he at your side.
His precious secrets to confide.

The picture books are put away,
There are no children's games to play,

No good-night kiss, no prayers to hear.
That all belongs to yesteryear.

My hands once busy, now lie still
The days are long and hard to fill.

I wish I might go back and do
The little things you asked me to.

—Alice E. Chase

Ahhh, yeah, talk about a punch in the gut! So....things are a changin around here, starting with me, and I am really excited!!

9 comments:

Katie DeRusha-Johnson said...

heyy cute picture! How can I get Kam's and mine?

Maddy said...

1. I love the picture
2. You never cease to amaze me with all that you take on and your positive attitude about it all
3. Aww, that poem made me sad. Hooray for staying home and cuddling my kids all day.

KatieFeldmom said...

WOW! Great picture!!! Beautiful family.

And the poem came at the right time for me. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture!
Also, it is amazing to think that our family, knowledge and love is all we are going to be able to take with us. Puts things into better perspective doesn't it!

panamalamb said...

Janel, Great Family Picture. You guys look great. Good luck on the changes that are before you guys.

The Tyler's said...

Ok..seriously beautiful family. Everyone looks amazing. Noah and I think Wyatt has grown up the most. He looks so old in that pic..I miss you guys so much.

I got really nervous for you when I read you are going to homeschool but if anyone can do it..it's you.

I'm going to be singing defying gravity all night now...love that song.

Melanie said...

I love your pic! What a wonderful post....I, too, needed this.

Amy F. said...

Thank you for sharing that Janel. I'm full on crying right now. I totally agree with you.

You guys are amazing parents!! That is never even a question, and your kids know how much you love them. Your family will forever have an impact on how I raise my family. I really look up to you guys. Thank you for your example :).

caseyann said...

I love this picture of you guys and i love your family!