Monday, March 31, 2008

The April fools fool

This morning I got the kids up at their regular time. Once they were all groggy and kinda sitting up I snuck in and called the house phone from my cell.

*stomping over to the ringing phone, annoyed*"Hello?? Yes. Yes I do. WHAT? OH my gosh. WHAT????? Oh no!! Is anybody hurt?? (covering mouth, totally hamming it up) OK. OK. Thank you for calling. OK. Thank you"

I look at the boys....."You guys, CTA had a huge fire. It is almost completely burned down." Sadie comes running in. "This is so scary. Your school is totally burnt!!!" Happy celebrating ensues. Arm pumping, Lots of yelling "YES!!" and "We don't have to go to school anymore!! YES!"


3 minutes later-"OH, wait, they told me something else, too. They said "APRIL FOOLS!" By this time I am laughing. But then I felt kinda bad when I saw their faces, I mean they fell for it HARD. So I'm laughing, they were good sports, all was OK. I go in and look at the calendar. Yeah, its March 31st. SO I'm a totally idiot and now I have to come up with something more elaborate tomorrow to throw them off. Something later in the day and more creative because they will be on to me now. It was REALLY funny though. I'm gonna do something tomorrow and put the video camera on this time. Their reaction was priceless!!!!

11 comments:

Maddy said...

OK you are so stinking funny. At first I thought you were just so creative that you did it a day early so they wouldn't suspect, but now I love it even more that you really got the day wrong.

I would totally do that to Ellie, but I think she would burst out in tears instead of the fist pumping. I'll have to remember it in a few more years. But you have inspired me to try something. . .

Chelsea said...

That is the funniest thing ever! I was like Maddy thinking you were early on purpose! Ha ha!! Can't wait to see what you pull on them tomorrow!!

Casey said...

Too funny! I could totally picture all of them! Hilarious! And I love that you were a day early you dork!

Kat said...

Hilarious!!
I love it, what a cool mom! Can't wait to hear about what you come up with tomorrow!

Ann said...

That was so funny! Like Maddy said about Ellie, it wouldn't work on Benjamin, he would probably just start crying! I can't wait to hear about what tomorrow brings!

Marcie and Holly said...

Ha Ha! That is So funny! Only you Janel! Oh! And I LOVE this Fergie song! One of my faves!

Andrea said...

ha ha ha You are FUNNY!!!

Whatcha doin' for the real 'fools day' trick?

My kids try to lay some silly trick on me, so I pretend to fall for it & let them get a good laugh.

BTW - I'm having a little contest on my blog & picking 3 random winners on Friday. You can see it here:
http://the-dickinsons.blogspot.com/2008/03/pay-it-forward.html

The Tyler's said...

I'm just now getting around to reading this. So funny! I wish I could have been there.
I've been texting Noah all day that I'm having cantractions and he is getting a little worried. At around 5 I'm going to call and tell him my water broke and he has to come home right now! I'll get him good! I'll let you know how it goes.

Elizabeth said...

:) My coworker is using your idea tonight on her kids. She thought it was hilarious that you used it the day before, but was totally inspired. I will let you know how it goes.
FYI, Steven and Mindy are Mom and Dad now! Go to their blog, he has the chunkiest cheeks EVER! Cute, big baby. :)

EmilyLemily said...

I love it!! And that is so funny that you were a day early! Yesterday on Wikipedia it said, for a joke in the explaination, that on leap years, April Fools Day should be celebrated on March 31st to preserve it being the 91st day of the year or something like that. So if you by that, you were right on. ;)

What did you end up doing yesterday then?

Amy F. said...

You crack me up! I love playing jokes on people, but unfortunately I forgot about April fool's day!
Can't wait to hear about what you did...