Thursday, November 22, 2007

Uhhhhhhhhh...........

For all family members reading this (Bri;) What goes on the blog, stays on the blog!!





So Tired. So Tired. Every year the same. Does anyone understand what putting a Thanksgiving dinner for 21 people together ALL ALONE and then cleaning it up ALL ALONE is like????? I have to say, Marks mom was the only help I had. She did one of the turkeys and helped with dishes. My dad carved. My mom made gravy. Thats it. Every year I seriously doubt whether this torture is worth it. Technically it wasn't even pot luck, because the stuff people were supposed to bring (except my MIL's turkey) they bailed on and either just didnt bring it or called and asked me to just "get it" for them. They day itself was nice. My tables looked good, my house looked good, the food was great, everyone loved it, we watched football, lalala it was all pretty much perfect. Its in the evening when everyone leaves that it sinks in, I get really tired, then crabby, then pissed, etc. Then Mark gets mad because "dont' do it anymore if it sucks so bad, just stop doing everything" when I'd rather he didn't give me advice like that, it dosen't help after the fact, because every year it seems like it will be different and then I end up in the same situation. Seriously, look up the blog archives for the last 2 Thanksgivings, its quite pathetic! waaa waaa, right??


BUT THEN...............I have to just shut up because seriously, what the heck am I complaining about??? I just gorged myself and 20 other people on a delicious, top of the line feast, washed all my dishes that I own with top of the line dish soap in my dishwasher, plopped on comfy, clean-ish couches in front of a new (inexpensive, yet sufficient) flat screen TV, Sent my hubby off to a secure job that supports us and allows me to be a stay at home mom, Tucked my healthy children into their own individual warm beds, now I am going to go drink a ginormous glass of cold filtered water and snuggle in my own amazingly comfy bed and watch whatever the heck I want until I fall asleep. Everyone had a great time today, My cousin who has been banned from his own home/family activities for heinous drunken behavior( which he has also displayed at my house at past family gatherings..yikes) he was able to come today (sober, thank goodness) and enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with family, and I could tell he appreciated us having enough courage to have him over so he wouldn't be alone today. My uncle Paul was brought from the nursing home that he may or may not live another year in, and although he is a miserable crab I think he enjoyed it,so that was good.
It hit me tonight when I was saying prayers with the kids, that there are a lot of people out there tonight in need (hopefully less tonight that normal, but they are out there, kids included)and I should be pretty ashamed if someone like me is having a pity party. Was it worth all the work?? Mabye not to me personally, but I don't celebrate Thanksgiving for me, I like it because it is the calm before the Christmas storm, I have as much family around as possible, and it helps us all (especially the kids) take a minute and be grateful to our Heavenly Father for the ENORMOUSLY blessed life we all have.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if all I have to complain about that I had to work too hard, I need my head examined. And next Saturday, we are having Turkey day #2 at my parents, and you know what they say.....turnabout is fair play. :D

6 comments:

caseyann said...

My words exactly. At least all of the thanksgiving stuff. but at least everyone brings something here. I haven't even cleaned all of the kitchen up. Too burned out. It will still be there in the morning. I complain too but it's so nice when it's over and everyone has a great meal and good times together. We do have soooo much to be thankful for.

Breezy said...

I was gonna mention, hey at least you get to run out next week! Well I'm sorry you had to clean all by yourself! that sucks isn't that what you gave birth to five slaves for? can't wait to see you all next week! will Mark be there?

Anonymous said...

Glad the dinner went off so well, sorry you didn't have more help.

Me and the Hubby spent the day alone yesterday and didn't even have any turkey. We have no family close and traveling was out of the question. The kiddos spent the day with their 'other' parents and families. It was quiet and peaceful. I spent the day thinking of all the things that I have and being grateful for the big and the little things. Especially for my and my family's health.

I hope next weekend is alot of fun and makes up for all the hard work you had to do yesterday!

Maddy said...

Oh man, I'm always impressed with how much you take on. Sounds like you need another vacation!

Nicole said...

I hear ya with all the thanksgiving stuff. My mom does our thanksgivin for about 70-80 people we all try to help but I know my mom does more then her share of the work. I'm so thankful I don't have to do it. You are amazing!! I don't think I could EVER take all that on......I would be SUCH a mess. I think James would agree that we would probably have to seek counseling if I had to do Thanksgiving by myself!!
YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!

smilingsarahbear said...

I'm so impressed... I complain about cooking for my husband's family which is maybe like 20. Way to realize how blessed you are when it's hard to not be frustrated. You're such a good example!